Thursday, July 10, 2014

National Butterfly Center, 7/10/14

Yesterday I ran over to the National Butterfly Center to look for Mike Rickard's Liris Skipper. When I arrived Louie showed me a sharp looking Ruddy Daggerwing, the first I've seen in a while. We had quite a few last year. It spent the day in a Cortez Croton.


Out in the front garden a male Florida White was nectaring on the Flame Vine.


This is the first White Peacock I've seen at the NBC this year.


There were a few lantana in bloom, a favorite of the Zebra Heliconian..


As I earlier stated my goal was to find the Liris Skipper. With the cloudy weather there seemed to be more grass skippers out than usual. I scrutinized every dark skipper. The coastal dashes say Clouded Skipper on most of them.




The smaller dark ones with the gray square and lacking the coastal dashes are Fawn-spotted Skippers. They like the shady ditch.


Here's a good looking Julia's Skipper (at least I'm pretty sure.)


I think this may be one too but I'm not so sure. But it's none of the other common species.


So I left without a Liris Skipper. During the evening I watered our butterfly garden at home. I found this Guava Skipper caterpillar out in the open wandering around on a guava leaf. As most of my Guava Skipper larvae succomb to parasitic wasps, I decided to rescue this one. It's in the house now with a clump of guava leaves. We'll see how it does.




Giant Swallowtail 3
Florida White 1
Large Orange Sulphur 3
Lyside Sulphur 30
Little Yellow 3
Gray Hairstreak 5
Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 10
Dusky-blue Groundstreak 1
Ceraunus Blue 1
Reakirt's Blue 5
Fatal Metalmark 1
American Snout 2
Gulf Fritillary 5
Zebra Heliconian 3
Bordered Patch 2
Crimson Patch 5
Texan Crescent 1
Phaon Crescent 25
White Peacock 1
Ruddy Daggerwing 1
Tropical Leafwing 1
Tawny Emperor 40
Queen 40
Brown Longtail 5
White Checkered-Skipper 12
Tropical Checkered-Skipper 3
Laviana White-Skipper 5
Turk's-cap White-Skipper 2
Common Sootywing 2
Julia's Skipper 2
Fawn-spotted Skipper 2
Clouded Skipper 15
Fiery Skipper 1
Southern Broken-Dash 7
Celia's Roadside-Skipper 6
Eufala Skipper 4