Wednesday, May 21, 2014

National Butterfly Center, 5/20/14

With recent rain and a good south wind I decided to run over to the National Butterfly Center south of Mission to see what was flying.  I put in about three hours and saw only 28 species.  But there was lots of flowers in bloom so I'll go check it again in a few days.  Guess "bug of the day" goes to this Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak.


Cyna Blue laying eggs on its host plant.  They're common this year after being absent for a while.


My only Crimson Patch of the day.


I don't know who this spiny caterpillar is going to become.  Looks like a nymphalid of some kind.


The newly split South Texas Satyr.


Graceful Zebra Heliconians always make me wonder when I'll finally get to see an Erato.



Earlier in the morning several Epress Laelias were getting warmed up on the pavement at Anzalduas.