Saturday, February 9, 2013

Frontera Audubon Thicket, 2/9/13

I couldn't let a warm windy afternoon go to waist so I ran over to Frontera Audubon Thicket here in Weslaco to check out what was flying.  Despite little rain the Eupatorium, Lantana and Crotons had really burst into bloom.  It's springtime in the Valley.  When I arrived Troy and Robin were busy photographing this Pavon Emperor Doxocopa pavon.




Mike Rickard reported a Southern Broken-Dash Wallengrenia otho yesterday.  I bet it was this little beauty.


Pale-banded Crescent Phyciodes tulcis.


I always have trouble with Duskywings.  I guess this is a Mournful Erynnis tristis.


This good looking American Lady Vanessa viginiensis reminds me of the old joke.  Who was that lady I saw you with last night?  That was no lady.  That was my wife!



The hind wing was bordered with orange so I guess this is the more common Elada Checkerspot Texola elada.